Saturday, April 18, 2015

Cookies Adventure

This is what happens when I am pregnant:

- Things fall out of my hands all the time (ALL THE TIME!)
- I break stuff - cups, containers, toys - pretty much anything I touch
- I salt food
- I forget
- I over sleep and I get late

Today I tried to bake some oatmeal cookies, an Irish recipe from The Pollan Family Table book.
Like I said, I tried, because I am usually really bad when it comes to cookies and breads. During my little adventure in the kitchen I:

- Rolled the cookie dough too big and some dropped in the oven.
- I took them out of the oven and accidentally dropped them on the dish washer that was opened next to me.
- In less then 5 minutes the entire house was covered by smoke because of the dough I dropped in the oven.
- The fire alarms went off

I had to fan each fire alarm until stops, and after all I had a huge mess to clean up. 
But things will be back to normal as soon as I deliver this beautiful baby.


I am posting the recipe in case you want to try.
Good luck and have a wonderful weekend!


Nana Fox's Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup sweetened shredded or flaked coconut
2 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

Combine the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, vanilla, coconut and rolled oats in a large  mixing bowl and mix until well blended. Using half the dough, form into 1-inch balls and place them on one of the parchment paper lined baking sheets 3 inches apart. Press flat with a fork. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. To ensure even baking, rotate the sheets top to bottom and front to back halfway through. 
Let cool 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer the cookies to a wire cooking rack to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container.

(I also added 3/4 cup of chocolate chips in the mixture)