Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Tomatoes

I love tomatoes. I love them even more when they are fresh from the garden. Because of that I’ve tried to grow tomatoes a few times before. On my first attempt I got dried tomato seeds and started growing them inside. I must have done something wrong because unfortunately they never really  grew.

On my second attempt I bought tomato transplants, since with seeds didn't really work before. The tomatoes grew and we were able to harvest some. But we didn't get that much. I usually get a bunch of tomatoes from my neighbor's garden, so I wonder what I've done wrong (again).

This summer I took the girls to a class on "How to grow Veggies" at Utah Garden Center. Both girls brought home two cups with seeds to grow. Well, technically, Giovanna brought it home, because Bianca ran around so much she dropped her seed somewhere on the ground. So one day I was eating tomatoes and I put one single seed in the cup and we started watering it.


Surprisingly, the seed grew, and grew, and grew, and that’s how it looks now.


Since I wasn't expecting it to grow I didn't get a bigger pot or more soil. Now, the pot is way too small for the tomatoes and I am not sure if they will keep growing or die. But it was a pleasant surprise! I didn't really have anything in mind when I put the seed there, (besides replacing the seed Bianca had lost) and it just grew! Nature is indeed perfect!

I hope we can harvest them. If not, I'll try next year again. And I'll be more prepared.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Seventeen years ago today. May we never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment