Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Au Pair in America

After talking (or trying to talk) to several different families across the USA on the phone, in mid-May of 2007 I flew to this beautiful country to start my Au Pair program. My English was so little back then I could barely understand what the families were saying.

Sao Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport - 2007

Au Pair in America is a program for U.S families seeking Au Pairs to provide live-in child care over a year long cultural exchange. The family I picked was from Massachusetts- the Kelleys. My host parents Patrick and Betsy had four children- Alanna, 13, Paige & Jordan, 6, and Braeden, 4. Before heading to Massachusetts, I along with other hundreds of Au pairs stayed in a hotel in Connecticut for four days of orientation. 




My host family left a voice message for me and sent me welcome flowers on the last day of orientation. How sweet!


I had four fun orientation days while eating good food, exploring Stanford, and speaking Portuguese with some Brazilian Au pairs. We even got to visit New York. It was my first time in the Big Apple. It was cold and rainy!




Things got harder when I had to travel from Connecticut to Massachusetts by train. I lost my passport at the train station and it was difficult to explain it to people and get help. Unfortunately, none of the Brazilian girls I met traveled with me, so I had to try communicating with an Au pair from Germany who left about three stops before me. I was so anxious and I remember signing the porter every fifteen minutes to make sure I hadn't missed my stop.


When I finally arrived to my station, Helga deTorres (my counselor) was waiting for me. She introduced me to the Kelleys who were waiting for me on the upper level, and we all headed to their home on a dark, cold night. I was frightened and kept asking myself what in the world I had done.

The first weeks were really hard as my kids had a super busy schedule and I couldn't understand one word of what my host mother wanted me to do.

Alanna, 13

Paige, 6 and Braeden, 4

Jordan, 6

Massachusetts is a cold state. I wasn't used to that type of weather and I had a hard time driving the kids everyone specially on snowy days. The family provided me with a mini van which I could drive everywhere I wanted, and a credit card for gas and the kids expenses. They were really good to me. The kids were a bit of a challenge, but I tried my best. Reflecting with my older self now I think I would've done a few things differently, but I really did the best I could at that time.
  
Summer and Fall in Massachusetts are BEAUTIFUL! I really enjoyed the nice and humid weather in summer, and the wonderful colors of Fall. It was magnificent!






 There is so much more to talk about... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment