Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Math anxiety


A few weeks ago I got an email from Senhora Maureira, Giovanna’s Spanish teacher, telling me about Giovi’s performance in Math- in Spanish immersion students learn math in Spanish (I hate that). On the email Sra Maureira asks me to help Giovanna study math at home, which I am.

BUT just like other times when studying with her, I feel something is off.

Giovanna has some sort of math anxiety. She can’t understand it, not even simple math concepts (she is still stuck in tens, hundred and units), and that’s been happening since kindergarten. But every time I talk to her teachers, they say she is slightly behind and she just needs support at home.

I feel it’s not just that. And I’ve been feeling this way for a long time now. I even talked to her pediatrician about it, but she didn’t seem worried.

It turns out I am not happy and I need some answers. So I have an appointment for her with a different doctor scheduled for next week. And I am really hoping we can figure out what is going on with her. That way we can adjust if needed and better help her succeed academically. 


No comments:

Post a Comment